Table of Contents
Discover simple methods to put Tesla in neutral without power. No more stress. Drive hassle-free!
Tesla’s innovative electric vehicles have become increasingly popular for their cutting-edge technology and environmentally friendly features. While driving a Tesla is a seamless experience, you might find yourself in a situation where you need to put your Tesla in neutral without power, such as during a breakdown or when towing is required. In this article, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide on how to safely achieve this. Read also Why is MyFlixer Not Working in 2023.
Understanding Tesla’s Gear Shift Mechanism
Before we dive into the methods, it’s essential to understand Tesla’s gear shift mechanism. Unlike traditional cars with physical gear shifts, Tesla vehicles use an electronic system controlled through the touchscreen display. When your Tesla is powered on, it’s in “Park” mode. We’ll explore how to shift to neutral without power in the following sections.
Why Put Tesla in Neutral Without Power?
There are several scenarios where you might need to put your Tesla in neutral without power:
- Towing: When your Tesla requires towing, it’s essential to put it in neutral to avoid damage to the drivetrain.
- Emergency Situations: In the case of an emergency, such as a breakdown on the road, putting your Tesla in neutral can make it easier to move.
- Maintenance: During certain maintenance procedures, shifting to neutral is necessary.
Safety should always be a priority when dealing with your Tesla. Before attempting to put your Tesla in neutral without power, consider the following precautions:
- Ensure you are in a safe location, away from traffic.
- Keep your hazard lights on to alert other drivers.
- If you’re not comfortable with the procedure, it’s best to call for professional assistance.
Now, let’s explore the methods for putting your Tesla in neutral without power.
Method 1: Using the Tow Mode
Tesla vehicles come equipped with a “Tow Mode” designed for towing situations. Here’s how to use it:
- Access the touchscreen display in your Tesla.
- Go to “Controls” and select “Service.”
- Choose “Tow Mode.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to put your Tesla in neutral.
Method 2: Manual Override
If your touchscreen is unresponsive or you need an alternative method, you can perform a manual override:
- Locate the towing eye cover on your Tesla (usually in the front bumper or near the rear license plate).
- Use a tool or your car key to gently remove the cover.
- Insert the towing eye into the manual release lever.
- Carefully turn the lever counterclockwise to shift to neutral.
Method 3: Towing with a Flatbed Truck
In some cases, you might not be able to shift to neutral manually. When this happens, you can use a flatbed truck for towing:
- Call a professional towing service.
- Inform them that your Tesla cannot be shifted to neutral.
- They will use a flatbed truck to safely load and transport your Tesla.
Common Issues and Troubleshooting
Sometimes, you may encounter issues while trying to put your Tesla in neutral without power. Common problems include unresponsive touchscreens or difficulty with the manual override. In such cases, contact Tesla’s customer support or a qualified technician for assistance.
People also ask
How do you manually put a Tesla in neutral?
To manually put a Tesla in neutral, locate the towing eye cover, usually in the front bumper or near the rear license plate. Insert the towing eye into the manual release lever and turn it counterclockwise.
Can you push a Tesla with no power?
Pushing a Tesla with no power is challenging due to its weight and electronic nature. It’s safer to use a flatbed truck or follow the proper procedure to put it in neutral manually.
How do you put a dead Tesla in tow mode?
To put a dead Tesla in tow mode, if the touchscreen is functional, access it, go to “Controls,” select “Service,” and choose “Tow Mode.” If the touchscreen is unresponsive, use the manual override method with the towing eye.
How do you get into a Tesla without power?
Getting into a Tesla without power can be done by using the physical key card or the Tesla app if it’s connected to the car. If these methods are unavailable, seek professional assistance.
Putting your Tesla in neutral without power is a valuable skill to have in specific situations. Whether you need to tow your Tesla or handle an emergency, following the right procedures ensures safety and peace of mind. Remember to prioritize safety and, if in doubt, seek professional assistance.